This week I saw a post from Brad over at Enemy of Fat that listed 50 Reasons to Get Healthy and Lose Weight and I thought what a cool idea! We all have reasons for doing what we do but we rarely put them down on paper. I write up my goals and tweak them several times each year. I write up training plans and steps to reach my goals. So why not type up WHY I want to reach those goals? It makes sense but I’ve never done it. Well, all that changes today.
Props to Fit Marriage, where Brad got the idea for his post, for this great concept. They had a quote in their post that I loved. “If you don’t have 50 reasons why you want to get fit, then don’t waste your money.”
So in the spirit of understanding why I do what I do, here are my reasons.
1) To reduce my risk for scary diseases that run in my family (heart disease, cancer, kidney failure)
2) To inspire others to be active and healthy!
3) To finish my first half marathon this year, running the whole time!
4) To feel better about myself
5) To give myself more confidence to put myself out there in the dating world
6) To show my parents that they can do it too… I want so badly for them to be healthy and around for many more years.
7) To complete an Olympic distance triathlon
.8) To someday do the Escape from Alcatraz swim (eek!)
9) To decrease strain on my already weak knees and ankles
10) To be able to dress more fashionably
11) To not get so frustrated when clothes shopping
12) To wear a 2-piece swimsuit in public
13) To be comfortable and proud at my 10 year reunion
14) To be happier
15) To not get sick so often
16) To be able to sleep better
17) To reduce stress
18) To be up to any challenge that comes my way
19) To wear knee high boots
20) To be stronger
21) To feel worthy
22) To treat my body as a temple, as God intended.
23) To stop overeating
24) To stop emotional eating
25) To be able to move my furniture without help
26) To get definition back in my shoulders and back like I had when I was a swimmer
27) To like the way I look in pictures
28) To strengthen my resolve
29) To learn to stick with things for the long haul
30) To end the sweet tooth, or at least tone it down =)
31) To have more energy to put towards other projects
32) To increase flexibility
33) To calm my mind
34) To try new things (pilates, etc)
35) To ride a horse through the surf
36) To be healthy enough to have kids in the future
37) To be able to play with those kids
38) To be able to play with nieces and nephews
39) To be able to care for my parents should it ever be necessary
40) To wear out my 3 year old German Shepherd before he wears me out!
41) To be able to take care of the 3-5 acres of land I hope to own in the future
42) To put all that running/biking/triathlon gear I’ve bought to good use
43) To run a 5k in under 30 minutes
44) To be able to run around the Disney World theme parks all day without aching
45) To wear my prom dress again to a formal event… it’s still a classic!
46) To be a good example for everyone I meet
47) To make sure first impressions or unconscious bias don’t prevent me from getting what I want in my career
48) Because I need to
49) To live long and prosper 😛
50) To prove to myself I can do it once and for all
What are YOUR reasons?